How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13565
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are living together for 6 years and we have a girl 7 ...

Resolved Question:

We are living together for 6 years and we have a girl 7 years old, I would like to know if we separate if I have rights to have something. I live in Tmpa Florida
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 9 years ago.


Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, oftentimes there are future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

Unfortunately, FL does not allow for the creation of common law marriage within FL (although it does recognize the common law marriages that orginated in other states). Therefore, you would not have the rights of married people upon separation or divorce (i.e. distribution of assets, etc.). You and your partner would more or less have the rights of any two people/roommates - i.e. taking yoru own property, if you had an agreements that were enforceable, seeking to enforce them, etc. Of course, your rights as parents would not be damaged, i.e. you have the right to seek custody, child support, visitation, etc.

Hope this helps!

I hope you have found this information informative. If so, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and so that I may receive credit for same from the company and so that you receive appropriate site recognition for accepting expert answers in a timely fashion. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need to follow up or don't understand an answer, please feel free to follow up with me! In addition, if you have future legal questions, please feel free to ask me directly by including my name "Stephanie Joy" in the body of your subject.


Stephanie Joy

Please note: A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back, so never fear.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is a via a retainer and fee agreement at my standard billable hour rate of $275.00, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only research, resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.

AlexiaEsq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you