How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My exhusband agreed to pay $300 a month for one ...

Resolved Question:

My exhusband agreed to pay $300 a month for one child 3 years ago. He is in the military and has since been promoted. Also, because things are more expensive now, how can I have him agree to pay more?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
If there are child support orders in place you are allowed to file for a modification hearing to increase child support. Any time there is a change in circumstances such as a promotion at work and the considerations of the cost of living, those are grounds to request increase in child support. This would be done through a modification petition.

Now if there are no child support orders in place, he would have to agree to the increase. Since there is no court order in place you would have no legal recourse to force the increase on him as you would if a support order has been issued.

So, if you have no child support order, it would be best to get one in place as that would be easier to enforce and modify for the increase.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you
Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions