How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing for reduction to modify child support from ...

Resolved Question:

I am filing for reduction to modify child support from 2 to 1 child per divorce decree stating when child turns 18 and has graduated c/s is no longer required. Support was established in VA. Custodial parent moved to NY right after. VA has jurisdiction over modifications. Since there will be only one vchild left after this modification, can I move out of VA to seek employment without UIFSA allowinng custodial parent to seek jurisdiction? Can I request this in my motion for modification? Thanks
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 years ago.
Most states lose juridiction six months after the child resides in another state even though the order may say they retain jurisdiction. Upon the filing of any action the court is mandated to move it to the new state.

You can request to be allowd to move in your modification, however that is an additional ground for the case ot be moved to another state. Under UIFSA the court can't retain jurisdiction if it is acquired by another state under that other state's laws.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
JD 1992 and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions