How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38906
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what can i do to delay divorce proceedings initiated by my wife

Resolved Question:

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Not much. You can ask for a continuance of a hearing if the goal is to obtain legal representation. Otherwise, the court will permit things to move along and you'll have to keep up.

Not sure why you want to delay things, anyway. Once a woman files for divorce, the marriage is over. Women tend to leave a relationship emotionally, long before they leave it physically. So if your spouse has filed for divorce, it probably means she decided to do it over a year prior to filing.

That's my personal experience.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what if my religious beliefs prevent me from participating in a process that is destructive to my family
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

The court cannot consider your theological convictions, except as they may bear upon your desires in raisng children. You are entitled to believe whatever you wish, but the law requires absolute neutrality concerning religion, and it accomplishes this by refusing to entertain any discussion of religious matters in court.

So, you need to get it into your head that you will have to put your religion aside so that you can deal with the reality that your marriage is ending and you must protect your legal rights or lose them to your spouse -- who is now your opponent.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is there any defense i can use to buy time can i pettion the judge?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

You can request a continuance of a hearing. You can also initiate discovery. You can request a custody evaluation for the kids and a vocational evaluation if your spouse is employable but hasn't worked during the marriage, or a forensic accounting if there are lots of commingled assets and separate property to account for. All of which will delay the trial and judgment.

However, all of the above is expensive and complicated if you don't have an attorney. In as much as you have stated that you can't afford an attorney, it will be very difficult for you to do any of the things I suggest (except for the continuance, which is only possible based on your facts, so as to permit you time to get an attorney).


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to socrateaser's Post: this is the last question, you have been very helpfull--What if my doctor says I am to unstable, health wise and psycologicly to go through this
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.
Unless you are admitted to a psychiatric in-patient program, or a physician testifies that you are not mentally competent, there will be no delay. And, even in that case, the court can appoint a Guardian ad Litem to assert your interests in the dissolution, and the case will proceed -- without you.
socrateaser and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions