How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42851
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In my spousal support proceedings my attorney has burnt ...

Customer Question

In my spousal support proceedings my attorney has burnt through all my money and ran up a $30,000 bill. He''s known for several months that 3 months ago I ran out of money. He and I both knew it was beyond my means. I''m 3 weeks from a court date and he wants to withdraw because of non payment even though he knew my financial state. This will mean that I have to go to court without representation. Can he do this? Is it ethical? What recourse do I have? Can he petition the court to withdraw based on this? What are the chances that he''d win?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Yes he can petition the court to withdraw and they will probably grant this. They will probably continue the matter to allow you seek another attorney. Basically it's the only way the attorney knows he will get paid.

From his/her perspective if he finishes it out without payment you would just be another creditor he woud have you chase. My sympathy to you here in this situation. It's ethical here if it does not prejudice your case.

The court has to determine that and will either release him or not. Your options here are to represent yourself, ask for a continuance to hire another lawyer, or to try and borrow funds to have him finish here. These are all tough choices. I wish I could give you better news here. I do wish you good luck here..


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.