Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I want to relinquish custody of a 16 ear old child whom I ...

Customer Question
I want to relinquish custody...
I want to relinquish custody of a 16 ear old child whom I have had custody of for 16 years with no child support from his father, he has now decided to live with his father. How do I go about giving his father custody with no obligation to child support?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/19/2008
Family Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Please clarify the following: What state has jurisdiction over the custody?

Alabama--I am told, as that is where our origrinal divorce and custody was ordered and where the child is now deciding to reside with his father.

You will want to file an agreed motion to modify custody and child support in Alabama.

Generally speaking child custody/parenting plans/child support can always be modified by the Court based on the best interests of the child. However, grounds for modification must include a change in circumstances that significantly impacts the best interests of the child.

Parents are also responsible for the support of their child on a continuing basis.

Based only on the information contained in your post, will want to file an agreed motion for a change of custody to the father. The mother's share of the child support should be indicated as having been previously contributed by mother.

The court will generally approve such an agreed motion changing custody and support.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLANDNYLAWYER

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Ellen, Lawyer
Ellen, Lawyer