How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of support, visitation, custody, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old son is out of control wont come home ...

Resolved Question:

My 17 year old son is out of control: won''t come home at night, won''t relinquish the keys to his truck when I try to ground him. My ex-husband has custody of him, but kicked him out of his house last year for stealing from him (cash and credit cards). He doesn''t work or go to school. What can I do? I am afraid of what he may do next.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am looking forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Can you please tell me what city and state or province is involved in your question? I cannot see it on my screen right now.

Has your son been to a psychiatrist or psychologist?

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Doe Deer's Post: I live in Houston, Texas. My son has not been to a psychiatrist or psychologist. He can be very charming when he wants something, but verbally abusive when he doesn't get what he wants. He does not recognize any authority. Three high schools have refused him re-admittance because he argues with the teachers and the administrators. His brother (older by 18 months) won't have anything to do with him because Ian (the son in question) has stolen from him as well.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

I think that perhaps you shouldn't bail him out of jail. By doing so he is not learning that bad behavior has consequences.

I suggest that you get recommendations for a psychologist or psychiatrist in your area.

This may be the acts of teenage rebellion, or it may be that a medication and counseling will help him.

This isn't really a legal question. If you'd like I could have your question transferred to one of Just Answer's Health experts.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I guess that I didn't make myself clear. Am I legally required to let him continue to live at my house?
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 9 years ago.

Ohhh. That's a whole different question all right. If you don't have even partial custody, no. You can kick him out.

You may want to give the following information to your son. He is old enough to become emancipated, which means that he would then be considered an adult:

Sec. 31.001. REQUIREMENTS.

(a) A minor may petition to have the disabilities of minority removed for limited or general purposes if the minor is:

  • (1) a resident of this state;

    (2) 17 years of age, or at least 16 years of age and living separate and apart from the minor's parents, managing conservator, or guardian; and

    (3) self-supporting and managing the minor's own financial affairs.

(b) A minor may file suit under this chapter in the minor's own name. The minor need not be represented by next friend.


(a) The petition for removal of disabilities of minority must state:

  • (1) the name, age, and place of residence of the petitioner;

    (2) the name and place of residence of each living parent;

    (3) the name and place of residence of the guardian of the person and the guardian of the estate, if any;

    (4) the name and place of residence of the managing conservator, if any;

    (5) the reasons why removal would be in the best interest of the minor; and

    (6) the purposes for which removal is requested.

(b) A parent of the petitioner must verify the petition, except that if a managing conservator or guardian of the person has been appointed, the petition must be verified by that person. If the person who is to verify the petition is unavailable or that person's whereabouts are unknown, the guardian ad litem shall verify the petition.

Sec. 31.003. VENUE.

The petitioner shall file the petition in the county in which the petitioner resides.


The court shall appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the interest of the petitioner at the hearing.

Sec. 31.005. ORDER.

The court by order, or the Texas Supreme Court by rule or order, may remove the disabilities of minority of a minor, including any restriction imposed by Chapter 32, if the court or the Texas Supreme Court finds the removal to be in the best interest of the petitioner. The order or rule must state the limited or general purposes for which disabilities are removed.


Except for specific constitutional and statutory age requirements, a minor whose disabilities are removed for general purposes has the capacity of an adult, including the capacity to contract. Except as provided by federal law, all educational rights accorded to the parent of a student, including the right to make education decisions under Section 151.003(a)(10), transfer to the minor whose disabilities are removed for general purposes.


(a) A nonresident minor who has had the disabilities of minority removed in the state of the minor's residence may file a certified copy of the order removing disabilities in the deed records of any county in this state.

(b) When a certified copy of the order of a court of another state or nation is filed, the minor has the capacity of an adult, except as provided by Section 31.006 and by the terms of the order.

I'd be happy to respond if you have follow-up questions. If not, please click ACCEPT or I will not get paid for helping you.

We can still write after you pay. Feedback and Bonuses are gratefully appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using Just Answer, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and me or my law firm. Our conversation may show up on an Internet search. Contact the moderator or me to make sure personal information is removed if that is a concern.

Jane Doe Deer


Jane Doe Deer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you