jogoesq
jogoesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  17 years experience in family law, custody, visitation, contested and uncontested divorces
10297932

I have had the same custody agreement for my son since ...

Customer Question

I have had the same custody agreement for my son since he was a baby, it is a very strict agreement as I was a first time dad and had a mild history in the justice system. My son is now 5 years old and I was wondering if I have not been following the order as of lately if I could lose joint-custody?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  jogoesq replied 9 years ago.

Hello:

In what ways have you violated the agreement?

jogoesq

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to jogoesq's Post: I was suppose to take regular drug tests, but shortly after the ruling I got back together with the mother of my son for a while and she said not to worry about it, she knew I wasn't doing drugs anymore. But we're not together any more and she's bringing up that she never received the drug testing from 4 years ago. Also the only place I was allowed to take my son was my residence but within the last 4 years I've taken him to my parents' and other relatives'. I drive nearly 3 hours one way to pick my son up every other weekend and have not missed a weekend. His mother is now threatening to take me to court for full-custody.
Expert:  jogoesq replied 9 years ago.

Hello:

All of these things were done with the mother's consent, although if you cannot prove it, then you may have a difficult time.

You could lose joint custody, but prhaps you can think of ways you might be able to produce witnesses that the mother allowed you to do these things. The important thing is that you not miss any court dates and tell the absolute truth to the Judge. You will need an attorney if you can afford one. If not, in some states the courts will appoint an attorney for you in custody matters. Good luck!

jogoesq