How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41516
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just awarded social security disability after ...

This answer was rated:

I was just awarded social security disability after waiting 3 years. the adjudicator said these are lifelong benefits. I am no longer able to work do to complications from back surgery and still have serious problems from one herniated disc and a laminectomy. I do owe arrearage in child support due to these problems not allowing me to work for 2 years. My ex-wife has no idea of this action and I am wondering if the arrearage must still be paid. The judge told me I would probably never be able to work again. How will this arreage be settled? can they take it from the lump sum I will receive or from the monthly payments? She has been re-married for at least 10 years and is quite comfotable. I am also going to receive Medicare. I am burried in debt, and I need 5 prescriptions monthly. Plus more doctord and pain specialists. I am in dier need as I am deep in debt. Can you help answer these questions? My attorney said he is checking into it but really did not know for sure.
Thanks for your question. SSDI can be garnished for child support payment. This can take the form of arrearages or current support if they have set up monthly payments. If they just have a judgment and they are able to get it served before the lump sum payment they could garnish some of these funds.

The reality is that ther usually aren't swift enough here. You get the lump sum and they are left trying to get the court to garnish the regular monthly payments once they start coming in here. The court would look at your regular monthly income from SSDI and set payments on the arrearage here. Once this is served on SSDI they take it out and you get the rest. Here's reference on the web page below..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you