How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41524
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have already signed a divorce petition that would ...

Resolved Question:

I have already signed a divorce petition that would give my wife 75% of the profits of our house sale after payment of mutual debts. But I signed that when she was unemployed and had no means to pay her own bills (I have paid all the bills for the house where she still lives and the place I currently reside since January when i moved out). She is now fully employed in a professional job, has more education than do I (she is an attorney), and our divorce hearing has not happened yet. Can I get this agreement altered to a 50/50 split now that she is going to be making at least as much as I do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If the divorce settlement--not the petition has not been finalized then you have the right to ask that it be withdrawn here. If the court allows this then you can either negotiate a new agreement here or the court divides and awards property and proceeds here.

If you have an attorney here then have him object and ask to withdraw the decree/settlement. If you don't have a lawyer here and are relying on the ex here to act as the lawyer you need to obtain your own here. You have a lot at stake here and it sounds like you could get better terms than you had here. Good luck and don't put this off here, time is critical..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you