How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have legal custody for 12 years and biological mother is ...

This answer was rated:

Have legal custody for 12 years and biological mother is willing to give up her rights. Can we do this with Adoption kit ourselfs?

You can purchase an online adoption kit, but it would be much better to have an attorney do this for you. It should not be very costly if the biological mother is willing to voluntarily have her parental rights terminated.

The problem with doing this yourself is that terminating a parent's rights to a child is a very serious matter, and the court is very careful and meticulous about making sure the parents rights are respected before he/she will grant the request.

An attorney can ensure that all of the technical parts necessary to ensure the parent giving up parental rights is done correctly and finally.

The last thing you want is to have a problem with the adoption to crop up AFTER the adoption has gone through, and now the mother wants her parental rights back and you begin that fight.

It is much better to get an attorney to handle this to ensure once it is over, the mother cannot come back and try to regain her parental rights - that would be a nightmare!

You certainly can use online forms, and in many cases they're perfectly fine - however, in this instance, my suggestion is to get an attorney to handle it.

Roger and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you