Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is it possible that I would win if I asked for a petition ...

Customer Question
Is it possible that I...
Is it possible that I would win if I asked for a petition to keep my exhusband from selling the land that me and our two sons still live on if I filed a simple divorce agreement that does not state anything at all about who gets the land? The doublewide is in my name but the land is in his name; both were purchased during the marriage. I am still paying on the doublewide home.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/1/2008
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 years ago
If you have divorced but have not yet settled the property matters of the community, then you will need to file a motion in the court where you filed for divorce for a property settlement. If the property is in both of your names, he cannot sell it. If the property is in his name alone he can sell it. If you bought the property while you were married, North Carolina is an equitable distribution state and you will have to ask in your motion for an equitable distribution of the marital assets. When you file for your property settlement, you need to also file a motion for a restraining order prohibiting him from selling the land until the property settlement is arranged.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer