How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116815
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband does not like my boyfriend and told me he ...

This answer was rated:

My ex husband does not like my boyfriend and told me he doesn''t want my children at his house or anywhere near him. This is an old friend of his so this is why he doesn''t like him. He is not a threat to my children or myself in any way at all, he just doesn''t like him. I want to know what my rights are before I do anything to make him even more upset.
Courts do not like to interfere in these situations with new boyfriends/girlfriends being around the children, but will do so if there is some evidence that the new friend is a danger to the children in some way or finds that the children being around the person is not in the best interest of the children. What would have to happen is that your ex would have to go to court to file a motion complaining that he does not want the children around this person and would have to provide specific evidence as to why. I would caution that if either of you are spending nights at each other's places with the children there, the courts may consider this and have ordered that it stops or they can change custody and visitation. Other than that, if it is merely dating and visits back and forth, there is generally nothing the court will do.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: Thank you for the reply. I should have elaborated a bit more. As I mentioned, my boyfriend is in no way a threat to my children. However, when his ex girlfriend found out over a month and 1/2 ago that I was seeing him, she came to my apartment looking for me and I wasn't home. When I got home one of the windows on my back door was broken. She didn't enter my apartment, she just got mad and broke the glass. Since she has found out were dating she hasn't come around, called or anything; she's left us alone. So my exhusband claims that I'm in danger which would in-turn affects my kids. This was a one time occurence and nothing has happened since. And neither of us sleep over each others houses when the kids are present. I barely even spend time with him when I have my kids. It just pisses him off so much that I'm dating this man that he's trying to do anything to keep us apart.
A single instance should not be sufficient to show a danger, especially if time has passed with no further incidents. He will have to show the danger is constant. You should be fine, even if he tries to go to court. You are entitled to have relationships and the courts should not interfere.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions