Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am an American citizen in Kuwait. It has been more than 2 ...

Customer Question
I am an American citizen...
I am an American citizen in Kuwait. It has been more than 2 years since my huband abandoned us. I currently do not want to apply for divorce BUT i want to have custody of my child without having to contact the father. Please, help me. how may i have custody of my child. I have been taking care of my child since my husband left!
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2008
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 years ago
You have actual physical custody of the child. What you will have to do is you could file for legal separation in the state where you reside and get an order of custody through that. Other than that, since you have the actual physical custody of the child, you are the child's legal guardian and custodian.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer