Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If I have a marriage ceremony with all important ...

Customer Question
If I have a marriage...
If I have a marriage ceremony with all important friends and family but do not sign a legal marriage licence, am I liable for my "husbands" previous debts (real estate and business), financial liabilities incurred before we met?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/1/2008
Family Lawyer: Anthony, Family Law Attorney replied 9 years ago
Anthony
Anthony, Family Law Attorney

Depends on the state, but probably not. It appears that there was no MARRIAGE, just a ceremony.

Was a marriage license ever applied for or purchased? Did you just "forget" to sign it, or was the plan to just have a ceremony but not make it official. I assume the plan was to not make it official.

It is unlikely you would be responsible for any of his prior debts even if there was a valid marriage, but it appears there is no valid marriage, so you would not be liable.

Reply to Anthony's Post: What if I am planning for this right now and we want to protect my assets? There has been no ceremony nor mixing of finances. Is there any other avenue I should consider but still be able to model for my children a wedding ceremony in God's eyes?

Yes, a prenuptial agreement. That way you can have a legal marriage and protect your assets. The other thought is to talk to an estate planning attorney (which I am not) to discuss that option, although my guess is that the prenuptial agreement would probably work better.

Anthony
Anthony, Family Law Attorney
Anthony
Anthony
Anthony, Family Law Attorney