Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can childsupport arrears be dropped/reduced

Customer Question
Child support arrears - can...
Child support arrears - can the person responsible for paying the arrears (Roanoke VA) have it stopped/ dropped /reduced? The payee did not request the amount to be reduced prior to children turning 21. Current arrears = $39,793.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/18/2008
Family Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 10 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
It is purely at the discretion of the court to listen to your case to have the arrears stopped or reduced. It helps if the custodial parent did not recieve any state or federal assistance due to your inability to pay support and if the custodial parent is willing to forgive your past due obligation.