How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can childsupport arrears be dropped/reduced

Customer Question

Child support arrears - can the person responsible for paying the arrears (Roanoke VA) have it stopped/ dropped /reduced? The payee did not request the amount to be reduced prior to children turning 21. Current arrears = $39,793.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 9 years ago.
It is purely at the discretion of the court to listen to your case to have the arrears stopped or reduced. It helps if the custodial parent did not recieve any state or federal assistance due to your inability to pay support and if the custodial parent is willing to forgive your past due obligation.