How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years. Family law, child custody and support, domestic violence.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it better to have a personal lawyer for me and my ...

Customer Question

Is it better to have a personal lawyer for me and my kids.Im divorced 8 years and have been going to court with my ex over our kids. He has always had drug addictions and recently tested positive for cocaine. Im thinking of getting a court appointed attorney for my kids but dont know if it matters. Please tell me which is better for them.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 9 years ago.

This is a frustrating situation for you.

I think the best interests of the children get lost in the battle between the parents. And yes, at times like that, it is a good idea for the children to have their own representative. California law has a provision for the appointment of a counsel for the child where it is in the child's best interests. Cal. Fam. Code 3114

Mediators don't make recommendations to the court, generally. They attempt to to mediate between the parties. They do not tell the court about the children's best interests. That is why it would be good for the children to have counsel, to raise issues concerning their best interests.

Good luck to you!

Please ACCEPT. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated!

Gloria Morris

Attorney at Law

Legal Disclaimer: The information I am providing you is for informational and research use only. You are paying me only for such information. The information is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. As the law is constantly changing, you are advised to consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.

Related Family Law Questions