How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has a friend who lives in Idaho with his ex

Resolved Question:

My son has a friend who lives in Idaho with his ex step father''s mother and the ex step father. He lives with them because his mother kicked him out of the house because he is gay. He is uncomfortable living there because the ex stepfather smokes dope and harsses him and he is afraid of him. We have offered to fly him to Texas where we live to live with us. His mother will not give him permission and stated she would report him as a run away if he came here. He is not in a safe enviroment there or at his mothers house. What can he or us do to get him to Texas without any legal issues.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
The age of majority in Idaho is 18. That means that the parent or guardian as authorized by the parent is legally responsible for the minor child. The mother is correct, if the minor child leaves the custody of the stepparent, he can be considered a runaway and you can be in legal trouble for harboring a runaway.

In general only the parents of the child have rights to custody, a parent can authorize a stepparent to be responsible for the child. The child's own father would have rights to request custody of the child, if the father is in this child's life. Otherwise, you do not have any rights to seek custody of the child. Further, since the child is a minor he has no legal rights to leave.

If the child's current environment is exposing him to a risk of harm, abuse or neglect, then child protective services needs to be notified to remove the child from the dangerous condition. If the mother is aware of the dangerous conditions this child has been exposed to, she can be liable for child neglect and/or endangerment. This unfortunately will mean that the child can be removed from the home and placed in foster care. From there you would have to speak with the caseworker to see if they would consider you for placement, but in general the relatives would be first in line to have custody of the child.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you