Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of support, visitation, custody, etc.
10033880

i live in NJ and bought a house with my money and its ...

i live in NJ and bought a house with my money and its only in my name while with my now ex girlfriend of 20 years, i want her out she didnt contribute any money towards the house and its in my name only, i know NJ dont recognize common law marriages, does she have any right to my house?

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

If it's correct that NJ doesn't recognize commong law marriages, your ex can still attempt a lawsuit to get some assets, but under the circumstances you describe she would not be entitled to your house.

Short answer, but sometimes they are.

If you have any followup questions, please write back. Otherwise, please just click "accept" and provide feedback, too! Thanks,

Jane

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Doe Deer's Post: your short answer says sometimes they are, in what circumstances would they be?

Well, when people split up in a meretricious relationship, the court has a lot of discretion, just as it does in divorces. So, perhaps you paid for the house, but your ex did a lot of work around the house, or bought all the groceries, or something like that - there may be more chance that some of what you consider to be "your" assets could be touched.

Sad to say, if your girlfriend (or ex) is still in the house, you're going to have to go through the eviction process just as though she was a tenant. It'd be best to first give her written notice to vacate by a certain date.

This whole breakup is going to be as easy or hard as a divorce, depending on the personalities of both of your and your ability to communicate and compromise.