How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117365
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 3 stepchildren live with my husband and I. We have ...

Resolved Question:

My 3 stepchildren live with my husband and I. We have almost no contact, and no child support, from their bio-mother. However, she does have sole custody according to the divorce decree. We never had to go to court because she allowed the children to go. My stepchildren are now asking me to adopt them. We live in Oklahoma. I am not aware of what constitutes abandonment here or what steps would have to be taken. Could you lead me in the right direction?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
Just because she has consented to allow the children to live with you does not necessarily constitute abandonment. Because there is in fact a custody agreement granting her sole custody and that is not in fact what has happened, then the only way to prevent her from changing her mind is to have the agreement amended. As far as adoption, she either has to voluntarily surrender her parental rights or you will have to have the court terminate her parental rights. You can argue under abandonment, but almost no contact is not the same as no contact, and she is not under any order of support. The courts are very cautious regarding termination of parental rights and require clear and convinicing evidence. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the court will not terminate those rights unless it believes it is in the best interest of the child.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions