How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step daughters birth father wants to sign his ...

This answer was rated:

My step daughter''s birth father wants to sign his legal rights away. What is the process/paperwork that I am going to need? What is the approx. cost involved. This is a Washington State matter.
Thank you for directing your question to me. Are you planning on adopting the child in the proceeding?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to FLAandNYLawyer's Post: I want to, but at this moment in time we are financially strapped for money. We have student/personal loans we need to pay off first. Plus we just had a baby and my wife isn't working. (May I also add that our daughter doesn't know that who he is or that I'm not her birth dad. She is 5)

Thank you for your information.

Generally speaking, a step-parent adoption is a simpler and easier process then the process to only terminate the parental rights. However you must have been married to the child's mother for a minimum of one year to qualify in Washington State. The child will probably not have to attend the hearing due to her age.

Generally speaking, step-parent adoption is a fairly streamlined process when you have the consent of the biological father. First, you will need to file a petition that shows evidence that you have been married for at least one year and the consent of the biological father. Next the court may do a home study of your family, however this step may be waived by the court. Finally there will be a hearing to finalize the adoption.

The forms and procedures will need to be followed completely, My best suggestion is that you try Legal Aid. They can represent you based on your ability to pay.

If you cannot retain an attorney then you can buy the forms on line complete with instructions. I found a site with state specific forms that you can use. Here is the link for Rapid Law:

Best of luck with your family.

If you have any additional questions that you would like me to assist you with, you can start your question off with: This question is for FLANDNYLAWYER.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit - Bonus = job well done.


Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you