Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

We have joint legal and physical custody of minor child.

We have joint legal and physical custody of minor child. The mother wants me to sign a paper stating that she has custody 51% and that I have 49% time with child. I have him 18 days of the month and she has him 12 days, I think she just wants child support, can she get it if I sign the document?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Not sure what document she is making you sign, but agreements which show a deviation from the current custody arrangement may be used to support a change in the current parenting plan, which can be accomplished by filing a modification to change custody (by agreement). It can be possible that she can obtain child support because in general the parent who is considered to have the child more often is considered the primary custodial parent and the custodial parent is usually entitled to child support.

Any agreements to change the parenting plan, should be done with a stipulation in modifying the current custody orders. If you don't agree then don't sign anything which can change the current parenting arrangements. If she wishes to change custody, it should be up to her to petition the court for a modification review hearing.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What does a stipulation mean?
Hello:

A stipulation is a written agreement signed by both parties and included as part of a court order, which can be used to change the court order.