How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlmostFreeLegal Your Own Question
AlmostFreeLegal, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 105
Experience:  Attorney with 20 years of experience and several legal publication credits.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AlmostFreeLegal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi! my fiance living in canada who has been physically ...

Customer Question

hi! my fiance living in canada who has been physically separated from his wife for 3 years will just file for divorce anytime soon. my question is, can he re-marry even with a pending divorce application? they migrated to canada 1990''s with a status of being married. and marriage took place in the philippines.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlmostFreeLegal replied 9 years ago.
Your fiance cannot get married to anyone until he divorces his current wife first. If he marries you while he is already married to someone else, the new marriage is void (meaning, from a legal standpoint it doesn't exist) and he is committing a criminal offense called bigamy. Do not attempt to marry him until he has legally divorced his current wife first. Starting the process is not enough; he needs a final court order making the divorce final. Make sure you have a copy of the final decree of divorce in your hands, and then you can start making your wedding plans.
AlmostFreeLegal and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you so much