Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

What is the age of majority in oklahoma He graduates high ...

What is the age of majority in oklahoma? He graduates high school and will be 17 in May. Won''t be 18 til Aug. How long am i entitled to child support. May or August???
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
It would end at age 18 (the age of majority) unless the child is no longer financially dependent on the parents upon graduation from highschool. Assuming the child will not be able to support themselves upon graduation, support will end in Aug, the day she turns an adult.

Oklahoma

Termination of support at 18, or until child completes high school

No statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: your answer stated in August when he turns 18 but then below that showed something that indicated "when child turns 18 or completes high school"? I am still trying to get clear answer. He will only be 17 when graduates, cannot get job til he is 18 so he cannot support himself when he graduates
My appologies for the confusion. Below is the actual OK statute on the subject. Support ends at graduation if the child was enrolled as a full-time highschool student. If not then support would end at age 18.

Except as otherwise provided by Section 112.1A of this title, any child shall be entitled to support by the parents until the child reaches eighteen (18) years of age. If a child is regularly enrolled in and attending high school, as set forth in Section 11-103.6 of Title 70 of the Oklahoma Statutes, other means of high school education, or an alternative high school education program as a full-time student, the child shall be entitled to support by the parents until the child graduates from high school or until the age of twenty (20) years, whichever occurs first. Full-time attendance shall include regularly scheduled breaks from the school year. No hearing or further order is required to extend support pursuant to this subsection after the child reaches the age of eighteen (18) years.

According to the language of the statute support ends at graduation from highschool if he is attending full-time.

Hope this clarifies things.

Full statute can be accessed here at section 43-112