How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there anyway to speed up a divorce. My attorney has the ...

Customer Question

Is there anyway to speed up a divorce. My attorney has the paperwork and says that it may be the end of the year before we get a court date. Im getting married in October. I have been seperated two years. WHAT CAN I DO???
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Is the wait because of the court's calender or is your husband whereabouts unknown?

Further where are you going to divorce?

Expert:  Ellen replied 9 years ago.
One way to speed up a divorce generally is to have both spouses agree on all issues of the divorce. This avoids lengthy and costly litigation. Another trick to speed up a divorce can generally be to have both parties waive service of process and some corresponding wait periods. By making the divorce as uncontested and streamlined as I have descibed will generally save not only time but also money for attorneys fees and court costs.

Good luck to you.

If I've helped, please click Accept so I can get credit for my work. Your payment and bonus may be tax deductible.

This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
I noticed another expert has jumped in, since I was the initial expert asking for information to better assess your situation, I would like to continue working with you before you accept any answers. So when you get a chance please reply to my information request so that I can get a better assessment to your particular needs. Thank you.
Expert:  Ellen replied 9 years ago.
Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: I am actually the husband and her whereabouts are known. We are doing an uncontested in Lexington County in South Carolina. The wait is due to Court Hearings ahead of ours. The lawyer originally told us about three months which would work but when i paid him the 600 dollars to do it all the paralegal said that lexington county was backed up and could take to the end of the year. I CAN NOT put this wedding off. It is the woman of my dreams, been best friends since we were 16 and it would kill her and make me royally ill. If you have any tricks up your sleeve then you've got my vote! Thanks in advance. BranXXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Ellen replied 9 years ago.
Sorry, I cannot assist with opening up the Court docket.

However I have an alternative that a couple of my clients have used. Do not put off the wedding, instead simply have a religious ceremony without the legal. The wedding guests will not know whether or not you have gotten a license to marry . After your divorce is final you can have a simple civil cermony.

If I can be of any further assistance please click "ACCEPT" and then submit another question directly to me. Otherwise simply click the "ACCEPT" button so that I can get credit for my work.

Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for you reply to my question. Sorry that another expert keeps answering the questions that I have been asking you.


To answer your question, unfortunately there is no way to speed up the process since she is whereabouts unknown. Due process requires that a person be adequately provided with notice and when someone cannot be found, that process takes longer. This is actually for your protection to make sure that if she ever turns up again, the validity of your divorce is not questioned. Unfortunately all you can do is wait.

I wish I could provide you with a better alternative, but unfortunately that is not possible at the present moment. I wish you well.






Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: no i DO know where she is. she lives 15 minutes from me. any advice now. she knows about the divorce and the wedding and the attorney is mailing her the papers because she agreed to sign for them.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your clarification.

Unfortunately as the delay is due to the court's calendar, then I also cannot offer any other avenues to speed up your divorce.

My appologies for not being able to solve this issue for you.

In case another expert is able to provide another avenue, I will opt out of your question.

You are not required to accept any questions that have not been helpful to you.

I wish you well.