How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I file for child support while still married and living ...

Resolved Question:

Can I file for child support while still married and living in the same household as my spouse? We are headed for a divorce, but I can''t afford to get my own place and take care of my three children. My spouse refuses to leave, but won''t help in supporting the children. He doesn''t buy food, clothes, shoes, etc. How can I get help?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 9 years ago.
Yes, you can file for custody and request a support amount be established even if you are living together. You will need to show your income and his and the monthly bills and evidence that he is not contributing. You can also file the divorce petition and get an order that he must leave the residence during the pendancy of the divorce and custody cases. If you can not afford an attorney first look for legal aid in your city and you can also go to the county court house website and see if they have any do it yourself forms for divorce and custody issues.
legaleagle and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions