Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my sons who is 7 has not seen his father since he was

Customer Question
8 months old i heard...
my sons who is 7 has not seen his father since he was 8 months old i heard from the grandmother that he wants to sign away his rights i know it is because he is $30,000.00 behind and doesnt plan on payiny anything since he hasnt at all what would be my best option
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/1/2008
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Thanks for your question. That may certainly be a possibility but sometimes the court won't accept it and let him off the hook. The court may feel that they want the arrearages to continue with the idea that someday they may collect on your behalf. DCSE has other measures to try and collect support.

They should have IRS intercept, license suspension, credit bureaus, etc. They can and often do manage to garnish bank accounts. It would be your callas to whether you want to try and get him out of the picture or not. You can still try and collect the arrearages in either case.

My next door neighbor never saw a dime of support until the child was 19 years old but better late than never so you never know here..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer