How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  Attorney-Therapist Mediator for CA Divorce Mediation Center; over 30 years private practice in NYC.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

please help!!! I have been involved in a long divorce ...

Customer Question

please help!!! I have been involved in a long divorce battle. I have spent all of my money, and still own almost 100K. During my final hearing, for attorney fees and cost, the court found Family Code 271 sanctions against me. The Judge stated, " that the motion for reconsideration, and the amended motion for reconsideration was frivilous, and completely without merit". Also I incured other fees, because my attorney did not respond to a vocational examination in suffient time and a motion was filed.   I am wondering, since my attorney had made these major mistakes, which cost me a great deal of money, what if anything legally can I do? My final question is...My attorney guarenteed me that I would recover some attorney fee''s and cost, which was the exact opposite. Knowing that these motions for reconsideration were without merit, why would he have me appear in court for attorney fees. Would I have a legal right not to pay most of my balamce. Also I do not have the money to pay,
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.


From what you say here you:

1. Should not pay your lawyer's bill.

2. You should bring a legal malpractice case against him for negligence in handling your case. You seek money damages.

3. You can sue him for breach of contract in that he guaranteed a result that did not occur.



This is information only, NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been created. Consult an attorney in your state for legal advice regarding your issue.


rvlaw and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What kind of attorney handles legal malpractice?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.

Where in CA....nearest large city? I will get you a link to the directory we lawyers use to find highly qualified specialists nationwide.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: I live in agoura hills, which is in the Los Angeles county