How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42834
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

divorced 6 years, x want to cut child support. i gave up ...

Resolved Question:

divorced 6 years, x want to cut child support. i gave up rights to his military pension and maintance for a set amount each month. now he wants to cut it by $400 each month. we have 1 child, 13
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your question. He is going to have to show serious change in circumstances. I think you should consider obtaining a lawyer in this matter. The lawyer can counter file for a raise instead of a reduction. At least with competing motions maybe it becomes a draw. I think that you got a unique deal here in the divorce and hopefully the court sees this as the things you waived being part of the amount agreed to as child support.

I think you would have just as good a case to raise here, its been six years, everybody knows how much everything has gone up in that period of time. sometimes its not always about how his income may have changed but what is best for the child. It is a high burden to deny a child more support and somehow say that they are better off. I woudl urge you to do this. If you prevail you may even get costs and attorney fees. Good luck to you

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you