How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42235
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been faithfully paying child support payments (for 1 ...

Customer Question

I have been faithfully paying child support payments (for 1 child) for the past 5 years which is deducted from my payroll check. I am married with 3 children and am finding it very difficult to manage my expenses due to this money I am paying out for child support. I have no contact with the mother of this child and recently, I received notice that I have to go back to court again (not sure why). Is it because there will be an increase in child support payments? Will bringing in all my copies of bills help? Also, I''ve heard that the mother wants me to pay for medical. Can I say no to this knowing that she works full time and is able to pay it herself? Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Yes in all probability she is asking for an increase because of the insurance. Yes bring bills and information about your other defendants. You probably have the duty for half of the medical, the fact that she has insurance does not mean you are off the hook.

You may very well have to pay here. Also be prepared to address why you can't work a second job or if you have any other sources of income. Courts have really become hard nosed about insurance and co-pays, etc. the court will decide this, its not your call to say no.

If she hasn't had an increase for five years get ready for an increase here, because it will be hard for a judge to say no. Just make sure you keep it in the context of why it is in the best interest of the child to not raise it as this is the standard here. It is not relevant and won't help you to argue that she has insurance available as she has to pay for it and you are probably on the hook for your half.

I am not trying to be harsh here but the court has hard decisions to make so be prepared to argue only about your income and your dependants, etc and best interests of the child.

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.