Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my sons 16 year old girlfriend gave birth to

Customer Question
my son''s 16 year old...
my son''s 16 year old girlfriend gave birth to twins last week and we are trying to find out what the laws on emancipation of a minor are - her mother is trying to keep her and the children away from my son
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/1/2008
Family Lawyer: BeckyH, Paralegal replied 9 years ago
BeckyH
BeckyH, Paralegal

She would not be emancipated because she gave birth, but that isn't what you need to do.

Your son has rights to possession and access. He needs to file a Petition in Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship requesting that he be adjudicated as the father, appointed a Joint Managing Conservator of the children and have specific periods of possession and access. Since the children were just born, he will have step-up possession and access. It may be in short, frequent periods at first and should be a Standard Possession Order by the time the children are three -- most likely sooner since the step-up period is starting when they are a week old.

I hope this helps. If you have questions, let me know. Otherwise, please ACCEPT my answer so that I may be paid for my time. Thank you.

BeckyH
BeckyH, Paralegal
BeckyH
BeckyH
BeckyH, Paralegal