How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BeckyH Your Own Question
BeckyH, Paralegal
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37
Experience:  18 years' family law experience. [This post should not be construed as legal advice.]
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
BeckyH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my sons 16 year old girlfriend gave birth to

Resolved Question:

my son''s 16 year old girlfriend gave birth to twins last week and we are trying to find out what the laws on emancipation of a minor are - her mother is trying to keep her and the children away from my son
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  BeckyH replied 9 years ago.

She would not be emancipated because she gave birth, but that isn't what you need to do.

Your son has rights to possession and access. He needs to file a Petition in Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship requesting that he be adjudicated as the father, appointed a Joint Managing Conservator of the children and have specific periods of possession and access. Since the children were just born, he will have step-up possession and access. It may be in short, frequent periods at first and should be a Standard Possession Order by the time the children are three -- most likely sooner since the step-up period is starting when they are a week old.

I hope this helps. If you have questions, let me know. Otherwise, please ACCEPT my answer so that I may be paid for my time. Thank you.

BeckyH and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions