How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I petitioned the jdr courts for child support and I

Customer Question

I petitioned the jdr courts for child support and I missed the court date and now I have received a show cause summons (civil) for missing my court date. What do I do and how can I be served with this when I am the petitioner not the respondent and was told the case had been dismissed since I was not present in court?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.

Because you were ordered by the court to appear, and you failed to do so, the court can summons you to appear and show cause why you didn't show for the case. Basically, the court wants to know why you asked for its time, got it, and then wasted their time by not showing.

Your best bet is to show up for the next court date and apologize to the judge for failing to appear. Don't give him/her any lame excuses - they've heard them all! Just be honest and tell the truth. You're not going to jail or anything - it is even very unlikely that you'll be fined. The main reason for the summons is so the court can "teach you a lesson" about wasting the court's time - don't be surprised if you are the last person called up on the day of court.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Adam Kirk's Post: What will the judge ask me?