How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Expert Your Own Question
Family Expert
Family Expert, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience:  25 Years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Family Expert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the Nebraska rules on guardianship. Since my ...

Resolved Question:

What are the Nebraska rules on guardianship. Since my grandarughter wants to move out when she turns 17 in July, you said that she can't be emancipated easily in Ne. but what are the guardianship laws. Do we continue guardianship at age 19 or is there a way to end guardianship since she wants to be on her own and away from us. She is very resentful to us and to put in nicely--very argumentative and says she will not be happy until we let her go. We have a bipolar diagnosis on her but she refuses medication and counseling, and we are at witts end. Since she constantly argues about leaving, I need that legal answers to how to let her on her own and how to do it through guardianship, etc.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Expert replied 9 years ago.

You should simply file a petitionin the Court that granted guardianship, to end the guardianship and state the reasons.

Also, if I was you I would contact the Dept of Child services -- or whatever its called in Nebraska -- and get them involved as well - shemay need commitment to get her meds regulated and it would be a shame if that was the problem and it wasn't attended to.

All the best,

Family Expert and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions