Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been legally separarted for over 2 years and my ...

I have been legally separarted...
I have been legally separarted for over 2 years and my papers have been filed in the county where I live. How do I go about filing for divorce and how expensive will it be to get it done. There is no assets no nothing.
5/1/2008
Attorney & Mediator
Not sure why they would be charging so much. In general you would have to file a motion to convert your legal separation into a dissolution of marriage. They might be charging this much if there are no court forms for this motion and they would need to draft the pleadings making the request. I would first ask the court clerk where you had your divorce if there are forms to amend/convert your legal separation into a divorce. If they have none, then shop around for a better quote. Your local law librarian may also have the practice guides on how to go about this yourself.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer