Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was just served with divorce papers and i need to know ...

Customer Question
I was just served with...
I was just served with divorce papers and i need to know what steps i take from here
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/1/2008
Family Lawyer: Rebecca Mason, Divorce Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Rebecca Mason
Rebecca Mason, Divorce Lawyer

Hi there,

You can file an answer to the petition and state if everything that it says is correct. You could also contact your ex's attorney and talk with him/her about working out an agreement to file with the court rather than having a hearing for temporary orders. You just need to decide if you want to cooperate and move the divorce along or if you want to challenge it. I hope this helps.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I am licensed to practice law in Colorado and do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information provided. It is best to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Reply to Rebecca Mason's Post: Dear XXXXX,
The problem is that i do not have an attorney and some of the imformation in the divorce papers is incorrect and some of the other things i totally disagree with, I am not sure where to even go or what papers i need to fill out, can you please help me??

Hi again,

If the information is incorrect or you disagree, you will need to file a response. That form can be found here:

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/documents/dr1_0300.doc

You will go through and check off which paragraphs are correct, which are not, and fill out the rest based on what you are seeking. There will likely be a filing fee when you go to file this with the court, but that way your side of the situation will not be completely lost. I hope this helps.

Rebecca Mason
Rebecca Mason
Rebecca Mason, Divorce Lawyer