How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amy Hightower Your Own Question
Amy Hightower
Amy Hightower, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 139
Experience:  13 years legal experience!
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Amy Hightower is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im Located in New York. My 22 1/2 yr old child was

Resolved Question:

I''m Located in New York. My 22 1/2 yr old child was emancipated at age 21, no more child support payments made after that. Ex wife now wants me to pay for college tuition for this emancipated child. I already paid for 4 yrs of college prior to her emancipation. There is nothing in our stipulation of divorce that says I have to pay after emancipation. It only states that both parents shall pay half for children''s college education after custodial parent (mother) applies for grants, aid, loans etc which will be credited against parent''s half of tuition. It does not state how long a child shall attend college. She already has an associates degree and works full time. The way it seems to be written, I will have to pay forever if my child decides to attend college. When does it stop. I thought 4 years was all I had to pay for especially since she is considered emancipated.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amy Hightower replied 9 years ago.

You are not required to continue to provide support for an emancipated child. One of the stipulations to emancipation is that the child is willing/able to provide for him or her self. Even without emancipation, the age of majority in New York is 21. If your wife decided to take you back to court to make you pay, I cannot imagine a court ruling that you pay more tuition for an 22 year old adult child that you have already paid tuition for four years.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please click "accept" so that i can receive credit for my time. Thanks.

Amy Hightower and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions