Amy Hightower
Amy Hightower, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  13 years legal experience!
9148881

Im Located in New York. My 22 1/2 yr old child was

I''m Located in New York. My 22 1/2 yr old child was emancipated at age 21, no more child support payments made after that. Ex wife now wants me to pay for college tuition for this emancipated child. I already paid for 4 yrs of college prior to her emancipation. There is nothing in our stipulation of divorce that says I have to pay after emancipation. It only states that both parents shall pay half for children''s college education after custodial parent (mother) applies for grants, aid, loans etc which will be credited against parent''s half of tuition. It does not state how long a child shall attend college. She already has an associates degree and works full time. The way it seems to be written, I will have to pay forever if my child decides to attend college. When does it stop. I thought 4 years was all I had to pay for especially since she is considered emancipated.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amy Hightower replied 9 years ago.
Customer

You are not required to continue to provide support for an emancipated child. One of the stipulations to emancipation is that the child is willing/able to provide for him or her self. Even without emancipation, the age of majority in New York is 21. If your wife decided to take you back to court to make you pay, I cannot imagine a court ruling that you pay more tuition for an 22 year old adult child that you have already paid tuition for four years.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please click "accept" so that i can receive credit for my time. Thanks.