How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Girl Your Own Question
Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Girl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a substitute teacher and I would like to mentor an ...

Resolved Question:

I am a substitute teacher and I would like to mentor an at-risk youth (age 15) but the school district says I am not covered by their liability insurance in the unlikely event of a parent lawsuit and therefore they cannot support my efforts to mentor the student. I wonder if I can approach the parents as a private concerned citizen and they can sign a contract allowing me to spend time with their child outside of school?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 9 years ago.


Thank you for your question.

It sounds like what you are trying to do is quite noble. The short answer to your question is -- yes! The family can sign a contract allowing you to spend time with their child outside of school.

The thing you need to keep in mind is that there are some liabilities that cannot be contracted away. The school board's biggest concern was what would happen to their liability in the event you were sued. In the same vein, if you were sued in an individual capacity, you would be responsible to defend the action. Now the parents can agree for the two of you to spend time together and there are some liabilities that you can prevent; however, in the event the child were to an allegation against you, you would have to shell out money to defend against the allegation.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!


Law Girl and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions