How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My exgirlfriend is pregnant, how do we get some paperwork ...

Resolved Question:

My exgirlfriend is pregnant, how do we get some paperwork in place for custody and visitation before the baby is born?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
In general the court will not take jurisdiction to address issues for custody/visitation or child support until the child is born. Further, in an unmarried situation the father has no legal rights until paternity has been established, either by petitioning the court for paternity testing or by having both mom and dad sign the voluntarily acknowledgment of paternity form (typically given at the hospital) to have the father's name added on the birth certificate.

Once the father has established paternity, then father can request custody and visitation once the child is born.

So if mom does not agree to sign the voluntary acknowledgment of paternity form to have your name added on the birth certificate, you will need to ask the court clerk of the county where the child is living (family or domestic relations division) for the petition to establish paternity and packet for custody/visitation.

I reviewed the court's on line website and I don't see the applicable forms, so please contact your local court clerk for the packets.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions