How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Father was awarded 1 week per month visitation.

Resolved Question:

Father was awarded 1 week per month visitation. He lives out of area. Child started school. Father wants his 12 weeks to be all of summer all of Thanksgiving and all of Christmas break. Is this allowed?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Yes, that can be allowed by the courts if at the present time the child's new school arrangements are conflicting with the father's ability to exercise his 12 weeks that he is entitled to. However, the court order stands as issued and it will be up to him to petition the court to request a change in the parenting plan before any changes could take place.

In general parenting plans where a parent is not in the state or lives more than 100 miles away is to have alternating holidays, extra time at summer, Fathers Day is, generally, with the Father, and Mothers Day is, generally, with the Mother, no matter whose weekend it is.

Comparing your schedule with that of the father's your schedule is what is customarily considered appropriate as it is flexible and accommodating to both parents.

But to answer your question if it is allowed, yes it can be allowed if he shows that all other schedules are not reasonable for the child-father relationship. That is a tough burden for father to argue. But at the present moment, if father wants changes to the parenting plan, it will be upto him to petition the court for a review hearing addressing the issue. Once there you can request mediation to work out a parenting arrangement with the mediator that is suitable for all of you.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you