How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After a 20 year marriage and a settlement that stated that ...

Resolved Question:

After a 20 year marriage and a settlement that stated that the alimony due to be paid to me until I''m 65 would continue unless I remarried, it was just terminated because I live with my boyfriend even though I have maintained completely separate finances and we share no assets of any kind. In making the determination on the case, the judge sited that my ex-husband had signed away his interest in our home and therefore won''t reap any benefit from the fact that it has esclated in value since we divorced 10 years ago as an additional reason for terminating the alimony. I received the home and the lump sum alimony in exchange for agreeing not to pursue my interest in my ex''s company which proved to be extremely valuable, but that point wasn''t brought up in court. My ex-husband''s salary is 5 times more than mine and now because of this termination I can no longer afford to stay in my home without my boyfriend''s assistance plus,I have attorney fees. Can I ask my ex to pay the legal costs?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Typically legal costs are granted if you win your case. Since he won his case it is unlikely the courts would grant you the judgment for legal fees. You can try, the fact is it is up to the judge if he should be required to pay your legal fees in the case.


Walter and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions