How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  Attorney-Therapist Mediator for CA Divorce Mediation Center; over 30 years private practice in NYC.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does a grandparent get custody of their grandchildren?

Resolved Question:

how does a grandparent get custody of their grandchildren?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.

Hi grammy,

TN has a provision (this is just a portion of the statute) that would permit grandparent custody. I suggest you contact a family law attorney to help:

36-6-101. Decree for custody and support of child - Enforcement - Juvenile court jurisdiction - Presumption of parental fitness - Educational seminars. -

(a) (1) In a suit for annulment, divorce or separate maintenance, where the custody of a minor child or minor children is a question, the court may, notwithstanding a decree for annulment, divorce or separate maintenance is denied, award the care, custody and control of such child or children to either of the parties to the suit or to both parties in the instance of joint custody or shared parenting,

****or to some suitable person, as the welfare and interest of the child or children may demand, ******

and the court may decree that suitable support be made by the natural parents or those who stand in the place of the natural parents by adoption. Such decree shall remain within the control of the court and be subject to such changes or modification as the exigencies of the case may require.


This is information only, NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been created. Consult an attorney in your state for legal advice regarding your issue.

rvlaw and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you