How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex is charging me with contempt of court....for not ...

Customer Question

my ex is charging me with contempt of court....for not paying alimony, the arrears total nearly 50k. I have since remarried and all I actually own is my automobiles. One is still being financed. I live with my wife and the home is in her name. Can the courts come after my present home to satisfy the alimony arrears, even if the home is not in my name but in my wife's name?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


No if the home is in your wifes name then it is not your asset and thus it can not be seized. The courts can garnish your wages, seize your automobile that is paid off, issue additional fines or choose to hold you in contempt and place you in jail.

I would strongly advise you take care of this asap and get a payment plan worked out.