How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 18 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby ...

Resolved Question:

My daughter is 18 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby just moved out of the apartment and told her he will not pay for his share of the apartment or any bills that she gets or makes. What rights does she have for any support for her and the baby.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
If she is married to the father, the father can be responsible for spousal support and child support. Your daughter would have to file a petition for divorce or legal separation to request spousal support and/or alimony. No divorce or legal separation needs to be filed to get a court order for child support.

Now, if she is unmarried, the father is not considered to be the legal father until paternity has been established. Once paternity is established, then she can get child support for the baby. If she is not married, she is not entitled to any spousal support as New Jersey does not recognize common law marriages.

She can sue him for his share of the rent if there was an agreement that he would be responsible for half. His failure to pay half is considered a breach of contract and she can sue him for his share. She can do this in small claims court.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you