Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my x stopped paying child support when my son turned ...

Customer Question
my x stopped paying child...
my x stopped paying child support when my son turned 18 yrs old, but my divorce agreement stated when child turns 21 unless, married, joins military, maries, or leaves home and has a full time work, well nones of the above has happened till last year may 2007 , my is was 21 1/2 yrs old. my son did live with my mother in the summer of 2004 worked a few odd jobs a totla maybe of six months an that time i was responsible for him. what can i do to collect past child support.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/2/2008
Family Lawyer: Law Girl, Family Law Attorney replied 9 years ago
Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney

DearCustomer

You can go the Department of Child Support Enforcement in your state and show them the court order. You can also provide any proof of payment for the child support that was received. They can start proceedings for collecting the arrears for you and will inform you of your options to collect the arrears (i.e. garnishment of wages, etc.)

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require further clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

-KAT

Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Law Girl
Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney