RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

How many times can an ex cancel a mediation ...

Customer Question

How many times can an ex cancel a mediation session. Process has gone on forever and she has canceled 3 times since they met the first time. Took morning off work and showed up at court today and never knew by my lawyer that session for today had once again been canceled. How can my lawyer intervene to make this mediation happen. She does nothing yet I am paying a fortune to her. I am the one suffering because mediation deals with time with my kids and financial issues that I continue to pay for.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for your question. Mediation is voluntary. If you feel this is not working tell your attorney to set the matter for trial. It may cost you more in legal time but to me that is questionable given the information that you provide.

Your lawyer works for you, if you don't want to go down this road, don't do it. Be firm in what you want in this matter. I can understand both sides here. the feeling of your lawyer may be that you were pretty close to an agreement that everybody could live with, yet close doesn't count, so maybe it's time to go in a different direction. Get some hard answers from your lawyer about what the possibilities are here and how much more to try it vs. mediation, then make an informed decision that's best for you. Remember only you know what is best for you. Here is a web site with more info for you..

ttp://www.ohiobar.org/pub/lawfacts/index.asp?articleid=7

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
How many times is she allowed to cancel mediation or a court date which she has done also?
Thanks since this is voluntary as many tiemes as she wants to. You can just ask to set the matter for hearing. You should really question how close the lawyer feels this is to settlement otherwise why not set it and move on. I woud agree with you that sometimes you need to step in and make a call. Everybody beenfits from delay/cotinuance except you. Everybody else is getting theirs, ask hard questions and get hard answers and you decide what is best here for you..