How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41597
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter receives SSI, They just cut her back 231 a ...

Customer Question

My daughter receives SSI, They just cut her back 231 a month because they say we contribute to her household. not true, she needs that money, Anything we can do? Thank You
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.

Thanks. Here is the appeals process for appeals with Social Security. I would advise you to make sure you timely appeal. You may want to try and obtain a lawyer to assist you in this matter. Often they will take this on a contingency where you pay him a portion of any benefits he wins for you. I would advise you to do this as soon as possible as these deadlines are strict and if you're late you're done for.

Appealing unfavorable decisions by the SSA involves a three-step appeal procedure, after which a dissatisfied applicant or benefits recipient may sue in federal court. Each step concludes with written notification of the outcome and includes a 60-day period during which a claimant may file for further review. Following are the three steps of the appeal process:

  1. Reconsideration. A reconsideration entails a complete review by the SSA of its initial decision. A social security representative who was not involved in the original application or decision conducts the review. The representative may also review any new evidence submitted by the claimant.
  2. Hearing. An administrative law judge conducts a hearing. The claimant may appear in person at the hearing but is not required to do so.
  3. Appeals Council Review. The Appeals Council of the SSA does not review all hearing decisions. For decisions it does review, the Council will either render a decision or return it to the administrative law judge for further review.

A claimant who is dissatisfied with the final appeal decision may bring suit in federal court within 60 days of the decision.


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.



Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: They go by a matrix. I would like to know the matrix they go by, Not the appeals procedure
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.

This may help you in this area, the handbooks and other SSI information is on their web page here..


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: She qualifies for SSI, and has been receiving it for 17 years (perm disability) I need to know what are the determining factors in reducing her SSI by 231.00. there are guidlelines the social security uses that they say show she gets part of her living expenses donated by her parents. I do not know those guidelines. I was told Social Security Attorneys do. Do You?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.

The best I could find was the manual here, it will take some reading but I'm pretty sure if you go thru the maunual you will find them. they are basically taking the rent and other expensese you pay and I'm asuming she lives with you and taking a percentage probably take the number of people in the household and divide it accordingly. I do not work for social security..

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.
This is pretty much as I indicated to you a couple of posts above as far as them deeming to you, I have been prommised a software called Palms that is an acronym for something but it is used by them to calculate this. If you stay in touch with me on this I may be able to give you more data in a few days. I have contacts that do this type of SSI eligibility that gave me this verification...
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 years ago.

Here's the web page i am told they use to calculate this stuff...!OpenView