Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Does the petitioner and respondent attend the ...

Customer Question
Does the petitioner and respondent...
Does the petitioner and respondent attend the pre-trial conference? Or does the attorney attend for them? What is the purpose of a pre-trial conference? Thank you.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/1/2008
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Thanks for your question. This is really the last phase where the case is either resolved or set for final hearing.

If the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the attorneys may choose to submit the issues in controversy to the Judge during a pretrial conference. Pretrial conferences are conducted in the Judge's chambers.

Both attorneys will present their respective positions to the Judge and the Judge makes recommendations for settlement, indicating how they would rule on certain issues if presented at trial. Generally the parties can attend unless the court instructs otherwise.

The Judge's pretrial recommendations are not binding on the parties but they are very important because they indicate how the Judge believes the case should be settled.

Pretrial conference is often the best motivation for reaching a final settlement of your case without preparing for a full trial. This is an opportunity for the court to sort of indicate how he ses the matters in a non binding sort of way to alllow one last chance for resolution..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer