Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Legalities between men and pregnancies

Customer Question
Scenario: My "friend" has gotten his...
Scenario:

My "friend" has gotten his now ex-girlfriend pregnant and found out after they had broken up. She is six weeks pregnant says the doctors. He wants nothing to do with this girl any and wishes to never even speak to her again.

What legal binds are there between the father and the mother?

Can the father really just... Leave?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
4/1/2008
Family Lawyer: PAFamily LAwyer, Family Law Attorney replied 9 years ago
PAFamily LAwyer
PAFamily LAwyer, Family Law Attorney

THERE IS NO DUTY TO TALK TO HER, EVER.

BUT - Once the child is born he will have to pay child support, and if he wants to can exercise custody and visitation.

PAFamily LAwyer
PAFamily LAwyer, Family Law Attorney
Reply to PAFamily LAwyer's Post: Will he have to pay child support even if he is not on the birth certificate? Can she choose not to hold him accountable?
If she doesn't file he's Ok - but if the state or welfare pay for birth, food stamps, or cash assitance, they will make her file!
PAFamily LAwyer
PAFamily LAwyer
PAFamily LAwyer, Family Law Attorney