How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

yes, l would like to know if l could change my child ...

This answer was rated:

yes, l would like to know if l could change my child support since my ex wil not take our son anymore starting June 1, 2008. he is handicapped and is 19 years of age. He is still in school until he turns 21.
Do you mean that the ex no longer wants custody of the son?

So is custody going to be changed over to you?

Are you currently the parent who pays child support?

Although your son is handicapped, can he work or is he not able to earn a living?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: we have joint custody,
he doesn't want our son to go to his place.
no, he pays child support to me.
no he more likely he won't be able to work. l'm not sure about if he will be able to earn a living.
Can you tell me if his income has changed?

Lastly, when was the last time you had a child support hearing?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
yes, l know his income has changed.
not since we were divorced in 2000
Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, you can change your child support. In general child support reviews can be conducted every three to four years for adjustment in terms of the cost of living factors. Also, whenever income has changed, you are giving legal standing to petition the court for a review hearing. Lastly, when there is going to be a change in custody you can also petition for the court review as the living arrangements are going to change.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, yes you can file for a change in child support.

Here is further discussion for your review.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research/educational use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions