How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dan Your Own Question
Dan, Retired Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1164
Experience:  Practice areas included family law, elder law, real estate, and transactions
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 year old daughter is pregnant. Her boyfriend is also ...

Resolved Question:

My 18 year old daughter is pregnant. Her boyfriend is also 18 and a sr. in high school. Is it possible to collect child support from a kid who doesn''t work? He still lives at home, as does my daughter. It appears after talking to his parents, that there is no plan for marriage. We live in Louisiana.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dan replied 9 years ago.

Child support is based on a person's income, and if they are not employed the courts have the option to order support based on what they determine that the person reasonably could be earning. So yes, the court can look at what an average high school student could earn working part time while in school and order support to be paid based on that. ALso, that figure would change for over the summer (since more hours can be worked). If he was college bound, they probably would take that into consideration again for the coming school year.

This is a point where it would make sense to either consult with a local family law attorney or contact the Louisiana Department of Social Services, Office of Family Support and Support Enforcement Services to look at filing for support.
For the Department of Social Services Family Support Division, click on this link:

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any followup questions. If none, please remember to click on the ACCEPT link so that I may receive credit for working on this topic with you. (I'd greatly appreciate it!)

Thank you,



The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

PS: If an answer appears to you to have been very helpful, or to have taken above average expertise, and/or research, or if the answer shows an above average amount of time and dedication devoted to your issue, a bonus is nice way to say "Thank you". Thanks!

Dan and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions